If you would like to help with a RARS Public Service Event,
please go to the HPSNC Events page to sign up.
Your information will be emailed to the event coordinator.
Due to recent Spam attacks we now record some tracking information including your IP address.
Although the HPSNC season has ended, there are other public service opportunities this year in Wilmington, North Carolina. If you will be in the Wilmington area or can help with these events, please sign up with the links below.
The Parkway Subaru Battleship Half Marathon in Wilmington is taking place Sunday, November 12, 2023 in Wilmington, NC.
Volunteer Signup: Ham Volunteer Battleship Half Marathon.
The Hampstead Kiwanis Turkey Trot (5 miles) is on November 18, 2023.
Volunteer Signup: Ham Volunteer Hampstead Kiwanis Turkey Trot.
Unless marked as "To be confirmed", here are the events you can sign up for now:
The season has been completed. HPSNC volunteers supported 14 events in 2023.
Please check back in early 2024 as new events are added and confirmed.
To participate in typical public service events (e.g., bicycle charity rides), volunteers must have the following equipment:
* Dual band (144/440) 25 watt (min) mobile transceiver
* A 1/2-5/8 wave well-grounded dual band mobile antenna
* A working cell phone for calling 911 in case of emergencies.
* A reliable, long-lasting power source like a fully charged 12v battery with a capacity of at least 35 amp hours.
* If you are serving as a mobile ham support vehicle, a valid driversâ€™ license and a properly insured, reliable vehicle. If possible, the vehicle should be able to transport at least one person and one bicycle either with a bike rack or inside the vehicle.
Other helpful, but not required, equipment includes:
* A GPS/Mapping device (cell phone or other)
* Dual Band (144/440) hand held transceiver
* Extra set of charged batteries
* Ear phones & speaker mic or boom mic/headphone set
* Higher gain antenna than the supplied rubber duck. For example, the Comet BN-24 or SMA-24, the Diamond RHF40 or SRH77CA, or a similar high gain model.